The Britannia hut is a modern mountain hut in the Valais Alps thanks to its total renovation in 1997. The hut has 101 comfortable beds, three dining rooms and modern sanitary and technical facilities.
All beds have duvets, pillows and blankets. Lots of wood creates a cosy ambience in the dining rooms.
Waste is separated (paper, glass, PET, aluminium) and flown down to the valley by helicopter together with the waste water and disposed of. Solar energy is used for lighting and telephone.
The winter room has a wood-burning stove. The roof supplies melting water and rainwater – in winter, drinking water is also drawn from the community network at the Felskinnbahn.
DATA OF THE HUT
Total sleeping places
Sleeping spaces winter room
Owner: CAS Genevoise, Avenue du Mail 4, 1205 Genève
Coordinates: 638’420 / 101’070
1912 – 1929
The first hut was a wooden structure and had a total of 34 sleeping places. The Association of British Members of the SAC financed the building costs of CHF 20,000.
In 1928 a quarry stone extension was added to the west of the hut and in 1929 a stone building was sheathed around the old wooden hut to the east, which by then could already accommodate 84 people.
22 years after the extension of 1929, it was decided to extend the hut upwards and to the north. The building volume was increased without compromising the aspect of the old hut.
On 25 April 1996, the canton of Valais granted the building permit for the renovation of the Britannia Hut. It had 134 beds, three dining rooms, sanitary and technical facilities, and a water tank of 16,000 litres.
On 3 March 2017, the first dormitories were converted into smaller, more comfortable dormitories. The Britannia Hut is thus adapting to the ever-changing comfort conditions of modern times.